Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Food Pushers

You know the deal, you are going about your business.  Staying focused, doing your "thing",when it happens.  It happened to me this morning.  I took Jordan to volleyball at the unGodly hour of 6:10 am and then I swung by Kwik Star to get a cup of coffee.  I meander up to the counter and, as if in slllllooooowwwww mmmmooooooottttioooon, the clerk says:  (all seductive like) would you like a breakfast sandwich with that?  Maybe a donut?  I blurt out NO.  My mind reeling as if the guy had just offered me crack or something.    I smiled a shaky smile, hoping that I didn't sound like I had just chewed through the restraints, slapped down my money and fled the store.  

I know it is their job.  I know that is how they are trained.  I know many of them are required to up-sell their customers.  But, I hate it.  I really do.  It is relentless----I find myself battling these food pushers all day every day.  NO, I do not want fries with that.  NO, I would not like to make it a megamonster size for only a dime more.  NO, I don't care if it IS buy one get one free, I only want one.  NO, I would not like to look at your dessert menu. 

I am pretty sure that this is one of the many reasons America is so fat.  We are number one in regard to the number of obese people while France is number 23.  I have never been to France, but I am pretty sure when you order your cappuccino, the very chic waiter does not say...."vould you like a buttery croissant wiz zat?" or, "vould you like to zuper zize that?"  I could be wrong.  But I doubt it.

Food
Ok, lets call it a "do over" for this weekend.  It wasn't horrible, but it was less than stellar.  And, with my wretched cough and sore throat, I lost count of the bomb pops----at least they are only 65 calories each.  My worst offense was yesterday evening....a Stouffers pot pie.  14 points.  Not the best choice, but at least I didn't zuper zize it and have two (which I would have in the old days).

Exercise
I am a little nervous about this.  I am not sure how to get back to it without overdoing it and prolonging my recovery....and ideas or suggestions?

GMMR
For those of you that don't really know me, I am a Disney World fanatic.  This may be an understatement.  At all times I am planning our next trip.  I don't think that the landing at Normandy had as detailed plans as I make for our trips to see the mouse.  And I do this to ensure that our trips are as effortless at possible.  Once we get to Orlando, we barely have to think, because the plans are made, the index cards are at the ready, and we just follow the plan.  I have even gone so far as to know everything I am going to order where, when, and how much it is going to cost.  On our first trip, I was only off our budget by about 40 bucks....and for those of you that have gone to WDW, you know this is pretty amazing.

This also works for me for everyday life and menu planning.  When I have a well thought out plan, I rarely overeat or eat what I shouldn't.  I simply follow the plan.  Obsessive?  maybe.  Does it work?  most definitely.  This is essential.  I know this.  Starting this week, instead of posting in my food diary what I have eaten, I will post my plan for the week by the end of the day Friday (Monday this week, since I didn't do it Friday).  Then, I will simply update it with any changes or additions as real life happens.  Now, when the kwik trip food pusher asks me if I want a chunka-lunka cookie with my coffee, I won't even have to think about it.

TTFN!
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment