Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm Baaacccckk....did you miss me?

Ok, the truth is, I can be lazy.  So sue me.  But I missed you all! 

I love the TV show the Biggest Loser.  And, I am not afraid to admit it.  This morning during water aerobics I had an interesting conversation about this show:

her:  "oh my gosh! how can you watch that!  It is ridiculous.  I mean, they are teaching a bunch of really unhealthy people all the wrong things (note...this woman is skinny).  Seriously....no one can lose that much weight realistically in 12 weeks."

me:  "well, it isn't actually 12 weeks, I think it is more like 24 since they go home for quite a while before the finale"

her: "whatever!  Again, I think it is wrong to mislead people that clearly have a problem"

me:  "Well, I am one of those people that clearly has a problem and I no way expect to be able to replicate those results.  For me, I figure if that group of people can do that in 24 weeks, surely I can do it in a year"

her: (big eye roll) "its just stupid."

That show inspires me.  But, I have noticed a couple things that worry me.  Have you noticed that about mid-way through they start weighing in WITH their shirts ON??  I think I know why....do you?  I also would love to know more about what they eat.  Sure, there are a bunch of Biggest Loser books out there, but do they tell us what they really eat?  And, do they have access to "bad" stuff?  hmmm, inquiring minds want to know! 

Food:
Been doing pretty good, obviously I have not been journaling.  The weird thing about food is this.....when I eat food that is healthy I LOVE it.  I mean, what is not to love about marinated Salmon, or a great salad, or brown rice, or veggies and hummus???  If only I could remember my love for fresh, healthy food when a cheeseburger is calling my name!

Exercise:
I am fully back at it!  My thighs are screaming from my "misery in the morning" yesterday, and my abs are not very happy either.  But, its a good pain.

GMMR
I have thought long and hard before speaking what is on my mind lately.  And I realized, that if my issue was diabetes, or kidney failure, or even my always painful knee I wouldn't hesitate to talk about it.  But this is different, because it is my brain.  I suffer from significant bouts with depression.  Medication helps, but I have noticed that only with the addition of one of two other "treatments"  do I truly feel positive and happy----those two other treatments?  food in large quantities or exercize.  I have tested this theory out many times, and I am now convinced.  If I don't want to spend my life curled up in a ball in the corner of my room then I either have to carry a spare bag of chocolate covered donuts around, or I MUST exercise.  And a gentle walk around the block will not do.  Fairly intense, consistent exercise is my only hope.  The great thing about the exercise option is that it lasts allllll day.  When I do early morning intense work outs, the rest of my day is pretty sunny.  When I treat my depression with food, I need to "eat and repeat" numerous times a day.  Now, if only can remember these two things:
I love healthy food
and
I love the way exercise makes me feel

TTFN!
AnnieB

1 comment:

  1. Yea! You're back! I was about ready to call again! One of the things I love the most about you is that you aren't afraid to speak your mind. And you take such good care of the people you love - definitely time to start loving yourself a bit more. I started the Shrink Yourself stuff last weekend. One word - amazing. I've already made some discoveries I'm not sure I would have without it.
    Glad you're back - and I love The Biggest Loser. :)

    ReplyDelete